How Long Do Edibles Last?
1 May 2023
As the cannabis industry continues to grow, more people are exploring different methods of consumption. Edibles are food products that are infused with cannabis, making them a discreet and convenient way to consume cannabis. However, many people wonder how long edibles last and what factors can affect their duration. In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about them.
Introduction to Edibles
Edibles are food products that contain cannabis. They come in different forms such as gummies, chocolates, baked goods, and beverages. Edibles are popular among cannabis users who prefer a discreet and convenient way to consume cannabis. Unlike smoking or vaping, as they do not produce smoke, making them a healthier option for people who want to avoid the harmful effects of smoking.
Shop Our Edibles Collection now!
What are Edibles?
Edibles are made by infusing cannabis into food products. The cannabis is usually in the form of an oil or butter that is added to the ingredients of the food product. The cannabis-infused food product is then baked, cooked, or processed to make it ready for consumption. The potency of the edibles varies depending on the amount of cannabis used and the type of food product.
How Long Do Edibles Last?
The duration of edibles varies from person to person and depends on several factors. Generally, the effects of edibles can last anywhere from 4 to 12 hours. The onset of the effects can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours after ingestion. The duration is longer compared to smoking or vaping because the cannabis is metabolized differently when consumed orally.
Factors That Affect the Duration
Several factors can affect the duration of edibles. One of the most significant factors is the potency. Edibles with higher THC content will last longer compared to lower THC content. Other factors that affect the duration include:
- Body weight: People with higher body weight tend to experience the effects of edibles for a longer duration compared to people with lower body weight.
- Metabolism: People with a faster metabolism tend to process faster, leading to a shorter duration of effects.
- Tolerance: People who use cannabis frequently tend to have a higher tolerance, leading to a shorter duration of effects.
What to Expect Upon Consumption
When consuming edibles, it is essential to understand what to expect. The effects can be more potent and longer-lasting compared to smoking or vaping. The onset of the effects can take longer, so it is essential to be patient and wait for the effects to kick in before consuming more. The effects can vary depending on the potency and dosage. Some of the effects include:
- Increased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Red eyes
How to Store Properly
Proper storage is crucial to ensure their potency and freshness. Edibles should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight. Exposure to heat and light can degrade the potency, leading to a shorter duration of effects. It is also essential to keep edibles out of reach of children and pets.
How to Determine the Potency of Edibles
It is essential to determine the potency of edibles before consuming them. The potency is usually on the packaging in milligrams of THC. It is recommended to start with a low dosage of 5-10mg and wait for the effects to kick in before consuming more. It is also important to note that the effects of edibles can take longer to kick in, so it is essential to be patient.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Consuming Edibles
There are several common mistakes that people make when consuming edibles. One of the most significant mistakes is consuming too much too soon. We reccomend to start with a low dosage and wait for the effects to kick in before consuming more. Other common mistakes to avoid include:
- Not reading the label: It is essential to read the label to determine the potency and dosage of the edibles.
- Not storing properly: Improper storage can lead to the degradation of potency and freshness.
- Consuming on an empty stomach: Consuming edibles on an empty stomach can lead to stronger and longer-lasting effects. We recommend to consume them after a meal.
Tips for Safety
To use edibles safely and effectively, it is essential to follow some tips. Some of these tips include:
- Start with a low dosage: It is recommended to start with a low dosage and wait for the effects to kick in before consuming more.
- Be patient: The effects can take longer to kick in, so it is essential to be patient.
- Store properly: Proper storage can ensure the potency and freshness of edibles.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets: It can be mistaken for regular food products, so it is essential to keep them out of reach of children and pets.
In conclusion, edibles are a convenient and discreet way to consume cannabis. The duration can vary from person to person and depends on several factors. It is essential to understand what to expect when consuming, how to store them properly, and how to determine their potency. By following some tips and avoiding common mistakes, you can use edibles safely and effectively.