THC VS CBD
9 Sep 2019
What’s the difference between THC and CBD?
Photo Credit: HERB
In order to decide between THC and CBD, you must first understand what these two are and how they relate to cannabis. THC and CBD are the two main ingredients in the marijuana plant. Both belong to a unique class of compounds known as cannabinoids. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), as most of you know, is the main psychoactive ingredient in the marijuana plant. The reason for this is because it binds well with cannabinoid 1 receptors (CB1) which reside in the brain and central nervous system. As a matter of fact, THC works to activate those CB1 receptors and bind perfectly together.
Cannabidiol (CBD) on the other hand does not bind well with these receptors. Instead, it suppresses the CB1. Some view it as pointless to consume CBD when you don’t really get the normal “high” effect as you would with THC. However, CBD has many medicinal qualities and have been known to have quite a greater effect than THC.
The Difference In Effects: THC VS. CBD
THC is not just about the high. Though it helps lots of patients with their medicinal needs, there is a magical bond between the cannabinoids that result in tremendous health benefits. However, in some cases, it can lead to depression and fatigue. Understand that these cannabinoids react to us differently and therefore to each his/her own! If abused, you may end up feeling unmotivated and lethargic, whether it’s indica or sativa.
Effects & Properties:
-Psychoactive (gets you high)
-Aids with migraines, arthritis, insomnia, chemotherapy, etc.
Photo Credit: Leafly
The calming and uplifting properties reduce the mental effects of THC and also fight pain as well as inflammation. Lots of patients look to high-CBD strains for chronic pains caused by cramping, tension and soreness. However, when combined with THC, they work together in unison to amplify the pain-fighting and immune modulating properties of cannabis.
Nearly 40% of CBD can be extracted from the average industrial hemp plant, including Omega-3, vitamins, and amino acids. CBD is not usually recommended for sleeping unless crossed with a high-THC ratio. You’ll find yourself feeling awake and uplifted.
Effects & Properties:
-Aids with pain relief, schizophrenia, seizures & epilepsy, children with various ailments, etc.
CBD Oil & Flower
Photo Credit: HERB
The hemp plant generally generates a lot more CBD than the marijuana plant. In this case, CBD oil concentrates are mostly extracted from hemp plants, which are also generally cultivated for extraction.
Most dispensaries won’t invest in growing hemp plants when they can extract the CBD from a marijuana plant. It doesn’t matter which plant it comes from, there just aren’t laws allowing enough people to grow hemp plants, unless you’re FDA approved. If you enjoy dabbing or vaping, then concentrates are definitely the way to go.
Top CBD Strains
All of these CBD strains have similar effects like feeling euphoric, happy, focused, energetic, relaxed and uplifted. Many consumers today are turning towards CBD to balance out their THC intake in order to not abuse the plant. Considering CBD is a great counter for THC. It comes as no surprise that when combined there is something quite magical taking place. We encourage you to explore, especially if you’re not so big on the actual high. CBD has the potential to leave you feeling wonderful and functional.
List of Best Strains for CBD
- Cannatonic- This hybrid’s testing ratio is ranging from 5:1 down to 1:1 and has a nice balance of a mild euphoric feeling with a nice medicinal touch.
- Harlequin- She’s a sativa dominant testing at 5:2 CBD/THC ration, another mild euphoric yet energetic feeling.
- Sour Tsunami- A hybrid cross of Sour Diesel and NYC Diesel, a CBD phenotype that truly redefined the qualities of cannabis, such a perfect balance. Leaves you with a nice tingly feeling and is one of the rare CBDs that have a sleepy effect.
- Canna-Tsu- Can you guess this lovely hybrid? That’s right, Cannatonic and Sour Tsunami! This strain leaves you with a unique smell of citrus and a nice earthy vibe. Another well balanced CBD/THC ratio!
- Harle-Tsu- This one is just too easy to guess, the cross of Harlequin and Sour Tsunami are what some might call, “a match made in heaven”.
- Ringo’s Gift- Testing at 24:1 CBD/THC, ratio this unique hybrid was created by the late activist and grower Lawrence Ringo, a.k.a. The King of CBD. In fact, he created many of the strains on this list, this was a hybrid cross of Harle-Tsu and ACDC.
- ACDC- This hybrid strain is known to relieve pain, tension, and anxiety while keeping you relaxed.
- Stephen Hawking Kush- This indica dominant has a heavy effect but is also soothing with that mild euphoric touch.
- Pennywise- An interesting blend of Harlequin and Jack The Ripper, also an indica, with an even 1:1 CBD/THC ratio.
- Sweet & Sour Widow- Another indica dominant also considered to be a perfect balance that has a happy, hungry, and sleepy effect.
Photo Credit: ABC Collective
So what’s our conclusion on THC vs. CBD? All in all, we figured there’s really no competition because they balance each other out quite well. In all reality, the THC strain is most known and will most likely take the win. But the world is just now discovering CBD out of the 113 active cannabinoids identified in cannabis. It wouldn’t be fair to rule out all the powers of the herb, especially when they work so well together and against each other simultaneously. Most importantly, they both have beneficial, medicinal effects and you can mix and match to customize your high. Which do you prefer and what are some of your favorite CBD strains? Let us know below!